Registering your American Express Card allows you to create and send virtual cards from your Extend account. Enrolling with Extend only takes a few minutes.
How to register your Card with Extend
1. Create a profile with Extend at app.paywithextend.com/signup.
As you create an account, the onboarding process will guide you through the card registration process.
If you choose to skip this part of onboarding, you can also register an account from the home screen, using the Register an account + button or from your Accounts page, using “Add Account +”.
2. Follow the prompts to register your card.
- Enter your card information. Review for accuracy and select Continue to Billing Info.
- Enter your billing information. You will be asked to indicate your card type: a Business or Corporate American Express Card. This card type is indicated on the front of your card. Review for accuracy and select Continue to Account Name.
- Enter an Account Display Name of your choice. This will appear anywhere that refers to the Card account in Extend. Continue to Review and Complete.
- Review all information entered for accuracy and select Confirm Account Registration when ready.
3. Verify your account. After entering card and billing information, you will be asked to verify your account. The primary cardholder will receive an email from American Express and they should follow the link in that email to complete card verification. Note that this email may take up to 10 minutes to arrive. For more information, read How to verify your Card with American Express.
4. You’re all set! Return to Extend to start creating virtual cards from your American Express Card.
How to verify your Card with American Express
After you select “Confirm Account Registration” you will be directed to a page with “Action Required.” This page will explain how to complete verification of your card with American Express. You will be shown a custom prompt based on the card type (Business or Corporate) that you indicated during the card registration process.
- If you indicated a Corporate Card: you will receive a verification email from American Express. Follow the link in the email to complete card verification. This email may take up to 10 minutes to arrive.
If you indicated a Business Card:
- If you are the primary cardholder you will receive a verification email from American Express. Follow the link in the email to complete card verification. This email may take up to 10 minutes to arrive.
- If you are a supplementary cardholder: the primary cardholder will receive a verification email from American Express. They will need to follow the link in the email to complete your card verification.
- Note: Extend will automatically identify if you are the primary or supplementary cardholder based on your registration information. The primary cardholder is typically the person who set up the company card program.
If you indicated that you were not sure about your card type: you’ll need to look at the front of your card to find either “business” or “corporate” written.
- If your card states “corporate”, that’s all you need. You will receive an email from American Express to complete verification.
- If your card states “business”, you'll need to determine whether you are the primary or supplementary cardholder. You can do this by looking at the last three digits of your card number. If there are two “zeros” and then a number, you are the primary cardholder. If not, you are a supplementary cardholder. The primary cardholder will have received a verification email from American Express. They should follow the link in the email to complete card verification.
Once you have completed the verification process with American Express, you can return to the Extend platform. You are now ready to create virtual cards from your American Express Card!
Why do I need to go through this process?
This registration process confirms that you are the rightful owner of the card that you are enrolling in Extend.
What should I do if I don’t receive a verification email from American Express?
Please note that the verification email may take up to 10 minutes to arrive. If you still don’t receive an email, there may be a few reasons:
- You may not be the primary cardholder. Reach out to the primary cardholder and ask them to complete the verification process. This is typically the person who set up the company card program.
- You are the primary cardholder, but you may have a different email address on file with American Express. Confirm that you are checking the email inbox associated with your American Express online account.
- You are the primary cardholder, but you do not have an online account with American Express. If so, create an online account at www.americanexpress.com/login. Note that this scenario may apply to you if you have a Corporate Card and have an account with @Work, which is a different platform.
What happens if I received a verification email from American Express, but I cannot log in to my account after selecting the link in the email?
Try these troubleshooting steps first:
- Make sure you are logging in with the email address from which you received the American Express verification email.
- Confirm you are using the password associated with your online American Express account. If you forgot your password, please reset your password here.
If you are still having trouble logging in, call the number on the back of your American Express card for more assistance.
Still having trouble registering your card with Extend?
Please submit a support ticket here and our team will reach out to you as soon as we can!