Registering your American Express Card allows you to create and send virtual cards from your Extend account. Enrolling with Extend only takes a few minutes. See the process here.
How to register your Card with Extend
1. Determine if you are the primary or supplementary Card Member. Only the primary Card Member can complete card verification (step #5). See how to identify your card type.
2. Confirm that the primary Card Member has an online account with American Express. This is different from @Work. To create an online account, go to www.americanexpress.com/login.
3. Create a profile with Extend at app.paywithextend.com/signup
4. Register your card in the Extend app by selecting “Register an Account” from the home page and following the steps to enter your card information.
5. Verify your account. The primary Card Member will receive an email from American Express. Follow the link in the email to complete card verification. Note that this email may take up to 10 minutes to arrive.
6. You’re all set! Return to Extend to start creating virtual cards from your American Express Card.
Why do I need to go through this process?
This registration process is to confirm that you are the owner of the card that you are enrolling in Extend.
What should I do if I don’t receive a verification email from American Express?
Please note that the email can take up to 10 minutes to arrive. If you still don’t receive an email, there may be a few reasons:
- You may not be the primary Card Member. Reach out to the primary Card Member and ask them to complete the verification process.
- You are the primary Card Member, but you may have a different email address on file with American Express. Confirm that you are checking the email inbox associated with your online American Express account.
- You are the primary Card Member, but you do not have an online account with American Express. If so, create an online account at www.americanexpress.com/login. Note that this scenario may apply to you if you hold an Amex Corporate Card and have an account with @Work, which is a different platform
What happens if I received a verification email from American Express, but I cannot log in to my account after selecting the link in the email?
Try these troubleshooting steps first:
- Make sure you are logging in with the email address from which you received the American Express verification email.
- Confirm you are using the password associated with your online American Express account. If you forgot your password, please reset your password here.
If you are still having trouble logging in, call the number on the back of your American Express card for more assistance.
Still having trouble registering your card with Extend?
Please submit a support ticket here and our team will reach out to you as soon as we can!
How to identify your Card type
- If you have a Corporate Card or you applied for your company’s original credit line, you are likely a primary Card Member. Otherwise you are likely a supplementary Card Member.
- To confirm your card type if you have a Business Card, view the last three digits of your card number. If there are two “zeros” and then a number, you are the primary Card Member. If not, you are a supplementary Card Member.
- If you are a supplementary Card Member, you will need to ask the primary Card Member to complete card verification on your behalf.
Go back to Card registration steps
How to add your Card in Extend
- Create a profile with Extend at app.paywithextend.com/signup
- From the Home page, select Register an Account
- Enter your Card Information. Review for accuracy and select Continue to Billing info
- Enter your billing information. Review for accuracy and select Continue to Account Name.
- Enter an Account Display Name of your choice. This will appear anywhere that refers to the Card account in Extend. Continue to Review and Complete.
- Review all information entered for accuracy and select Confirm Account Registration when ready.
- Next, you will be prompted to verify your Card with American Express.
Go back to Card registration steps
How to verify your Card with American Express
- If you are the primary Card Member, check your inbox for a verification email from American Express. The email can take up to 10 minutes to arrive and will be sent to the email address on file with your American Express online account. This is different from American Express.
- Click on the link provided in the verification email
- Complete the verification process with American Express
- Return to the Extend platform. You are now ready to create virtual cards from your American Express Card.