Connecting Extend with your QuickBooks Online account will save you hours of tedious manual data entry by automatically importing virtual card transactions and metadata.
Once you’ve connected the integration, your QuickBooks codes (Account, Location, Project, Class, Customer, Vendor) will automatically sync to Extend’s expense categories. Any account tied to your organization will inherit all expense categories pulled in from QuickBooks. This synchronization allows you to tag your virtual cards and transactions with the corresponding expense categories and proactively reconcile expenses as they happen.
Additionally, each cleared transaction that pushes from Extend to QuickBooks will include additional data, like virtual card name, last 4-digits of the virtual card, and any notes.
Note: Only Owner, Admin, and Bookkeeper roles have permission to connect and manage an integration for the organization.
Quick tips before you get started:
- Confirm that you are a QuickBooks admin: If you do not hold an admin role in QuickBooks, you will need to contact your company’s QuickBooks admin to complete the integration and authentication process.
- Confirm you have a registered card account in Extend. If not, you will need to register a company credit card before beginning the process.
- Confirm you have defined a credit card account(s) in QuickBooks. If not, you will need to complete the credit card account setup in QuickBooks before connecting.
- If you have an existing integration connected to Extend, you must first disconnect it before connecting to QuickBooks Online.
- Ensure the merchant name is correctly updated in your Payee field in Quickbooks before you categorize and match transactions in the banking center.
Connecting to QuickBooks:
- Open the Extend web app.
- Click the profile icon on the navigation bar (or the Manage Organizations button on the Home page) and select Organization Settings.
- Navigate to the Integrations tab and click Connect on the QuickBooks tile.
Note: Extend only supports one integration per organization. If you are already connected to another integration, you will need to disconnect that one first to be able to connect with QuickBooks Online.
- Next, complete the series of on-screen prompts to authenticate the connection with your QuickBooks Online account.
- Once authenticated, select which account in QuickBooks you’d like to connect to.
Note: The account type must be ‘credit card’ within QuickBooks.
If the connection is successful, you should see a green congratulatory banner at the bottom of the screen. The Quickbooks tile on the Integrations tab will also indicate “Connected.”
Any newly cleared virtual card transactions will be available for you to review and sync to QuickBooks.
Mapping the data
Once Extend and QuickBooks are connected, Extend will automatically retrieve and import the QuickBooks category data needed to classify transactions. You can find these imported categories in the Expense Details on a transaction flyout.
The following QuickBooks category data fields will sync to Extend:
Every time you create a virtual card, tag it with the appropriate reference codes to ensure every transaction on that card will be properly tagged in QuickBooks. Transactions can be pushed to QuickBooks once they have cleared, and the QuickBooks logo will appear next to transactions once they’ve been successfully imported to QuickBooks.
To push your transaction data into QuickBooks, please refer to Sync transactions to your accounting service.
For more information on setting up your expense categories, please refer to Creating and managing expense categories.
What version of QuickBooks is supported?
Extend supports integrating with QuickBooks Online.
What data will be populated in QuickBooks?
Each cleared transaction will include:
- Transaction date and amount
- Expense category code data (Account, Location, Project, Class, Customer, Vendor) will populate the respective fields
- Virtual card metadata will populate the Memo field, including virtual card name, last 4 digits of virtual card, RCN name, last 4 digits of RCN, transaction reference ID, and any notes entered within Extend
- Any transaction attachments or receipts you have pushed to QuickBooks
Who can connect to QuickBooks Online?
Anyone who is a QuickBooks admin at your company will be able to set up the QuickBooks Online integration, but this person must also have the Owner, Admin, or Bookkeeper role in Extend in order to complete the process.
What if I need to make a change to an Extend transaction?
Once a transaction has been sent to QuickBooks, any updates to a transaction’s reference field in Extend will not be reflected in QuickBooks. Updates must be made directly in QuickBooks Online.
What if I make a change to my QuickBooks codes?
Changes to your QuickBooks GL accounts, classes, locations, customers, projects, and vendors will sync to Extend within 24 hours.
Will my transactions automatically push to my QuickBooks Online account?
You must manually push a cleared transaction to QuickBooks Online. You may add or edit the expense categories at the transaction level before pushing the transactions to your QuickBooks account. Each transaction must have an expense category before you can request the sync process. Once pushed, any change to the expense categories must be edited directly in QuickBooks.
What happens if I do not see my Extend transaction in my QuickBooks Online account?
We will display a QuickBooks icon at a transaction level within Extend when the transaction successfully pushes to your QuickBooks account. Also, if the transaction fails for any reason, a failure icon will appear and you can attempt to sync again.
Is connecting to my account secure?
Yes, the Extend and QuickBooks Online integration is secure. Users must verify their profiles by logging in to both their QuickBooks and Extend accounts, and Transport Layer Security (TLS) encrypts the data transfer.